Innocence Vs Experience

In a world full of cloudy beauty. I stand up to part the sky.

Monday, March 06, 2006

If someone could help me with this problem, please help.

What is it to be humble? Because me and the dictionary have some discrepancies. Says here that humble means

"Marked by meekness or modesty in behavior, attitude, or spirit; not arrogant or prideful.
Showing differential or submissive respect: a humble apology.
Low in rank, quality, or station; unpretentious or lowly: a humble cottage."

What the hell does "marked by meekness or modesty.." Mean anyway? That does not explain this action to me. What is meekness, it's the act of being submissive. And modesty is quiet about one's achievements. I'm completely thrown by "spirit" too. I would find it hard to identify anyone who has these qualities from the dictionary. But maybe that's me. Does this mean you have to be poor to be modest & humble? Or is there some other humbleness going around that I don't know about?! I really can't tell. Am I alone in this deep-thought?

It just got me thinking about this because I think being humble in society is an amazing quality in a person. I hold the highest respect over those who can hold their tongue from something that could be damaging in any way to the other person or make the situation negative. To me, this person has control and restraint which shows intelligence and thoughtfulness. Both qualities of course are admirable by themselves.

You see, you know that's probably why I hate English culture so much. Because the ratio of honest, decent, and genuine people are so few compared to those I found in Malaysia and everywhere else I have been. Perhaps I am looking at it like the grass is greener on the other side. But perhaps that's my personal opinion which I am entitled to.